Keto-Friendly Nama Chocolate
This is a rich, smooth, and decadent homemade Nama keto-friendly chocolate recipe. It is made with quality dark chocolate and fresh cream. This low-carb chocolate recipe is truly a special treat. And it's one of Japan's most popular gifts, but you can easily make it at home.
Nama chocolate was made famous by Royce confectionery in Japan along with Meiji Melty Kiss.
Nama Chocolate is a kind of Chocolate Ganache composed traditionally from cocoa and fresh cream. From the name, "Nama" which is Japanese for "raw," refers to the "fresh" components.
And since it is created with "fresh" cream, Nama chocolate dessert cannot be kept as long as other chocolate delicacies and tastes best straight out of the fridge.
This post may contain affiliate links, and as an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases that help keep this content free. (Full disclosure).
This chocolate dessert is a form of ganache, similar to the contents inside French truffles. It's made of fresh cream and delicious chocolate, cut into little cubes and dusted with fine quality cocoa powder.
The chocolate can be named "Nama Chocolate" when it holds at least 10% cream and 40% chocolate by weight, and no more than 10% water.
Nama Chocolate is much easier to make than truffles because it is poured into a square pan, chilled until firm, and then cut into mini squares. No messy hands because there's no rolling required.
It needs cold temperatures to keep its solidified shape. The Swiss "Pave De Geneva" (creamy ganache and smooth) is very similar to its Japanese counterpart. It is soft, creamy, rich, and moist, with a silky texture that melts in your mouth.
Because of the fresh cream, Nama Chocolate dessert must be kept in the refrigerator at all times. It is best enjoyed fresh, within four days after being created. You can also store in the freezer for up to a month.
The excellent news is you don't have to fly to Japan to enjoy the luxurious sweets. With this easy recipe, you can make and enjoy your chocolate dream today without any guilt.
Tips for Making Nama Chocolate
Please Use Quality Chocolate
High-quality chocolate is mandatory since that's the essential ingredient for making this delicious original or keto Nama Chocolate. Please make sure the chocolate is made of 100% cocoa butter and does not include vegetable fat.
And Use Heavy Cream
American heavy cream or heavy whipping cream (it's the same thing) holds 36% to 38 fat content. The proportion of heavy whipping cream and chocolate, gram, should be 1:2. Remember not to replace chocolate with white chocolate.
Dry and Clean Equipment
Make sure the bowls and tools you are using are absolutely dry. Yet, a small amount of water/steam can "seize" the chocolate melting process. It can occur suddenly from a smooth bowl of liquid chocolate to a lumpy, grainy mass of chocolate.
Pan size: 6 x 6 inch (15 x 15 cm) square pan
Ingredients For Keto-Friendly Nama Chocolate
- 1 cup (250mL) heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup (100g) powdered sweetener of choice
- 1 tablespoon (15g) unsalted butter
- 3 bars (240g) Lindt dark chocolate (80-100% cocoa)
- 1 teaspoon (4mL) brandy extract (optional) or 1 tablespoon (15mL) of any liquor of choice
- unsweetened cocoa powder
Ingredients For Originally Nama Chocolate
- 400 g quality dark chocolate 70% cacao. Please use a semisweet for less bitter taste. Or 14 oz.
- 200 ml heavy double cream 38% fat ¾ cup + 1 Tbsp.
- 1 Tbsp liqueur of your liking (optional). Adjust the amount according to your taste.
- Cocoa powder to coat the chocolate dessert.
INSTRUCTIONS To Make These Tasty Keto-Friendly or Original Nama Chocolate. (Both ingredients above, choose the one you like).
- Line an 8" x 8" or 20 x 20 cm baking dish with parchment paper. Choosing the right size tray is essential for chocolate's height. If you use a bigger baking tray, the chocolate dessert will be flatter.
- Then use a sharp knife and chop the tasty chocolate into smaller pieces to melt faster and more evenly.
- Next, add the heavy cream into a small saucepan and bring it to ALMOST boil over medium heat. Whisk to distribute heat and keep an eye on the cream evenly.
- Then, when you see small bubbles around the saucepan, remove from the heat.
- Then add the tasty chocolate into the heavy cream and mix everything with a silicone spatula.
- Combine the cream and chocolate and make sure there is no lump. The chocolate should be completely smooth.
- If you like, add a liqueur of your choice.
- Empty the mix into the prepared baking dish and smooth the surface with a silicone spatula.
- Next tap the baking dish onto the counter a few times. This is to make sure the chocolate is evenly distributed). Then refrigerate the mix until firm, approximately 4-5 hours.
After Chilling The Keto Nama Chocolate For About 4-5 Hours
- Remove the chocolate dessert from the baking dish.
- Cut the tasty excess chocolate around the edges to have nice sharp corners.
- Next, warm up the sharp knife with a hot towel, and cut the chocolate into 1" strips. Make sure to warm the knife-blade before each cut to achieve an excellent sharp cut.
- And depending on your baking dish, the four sides of the chocolate may not look good. Mine has curved edges and corners. If that's the case, keep these chocolate pieces for yourself to enjoy later.
- Next, cut the strips into cubes. Remember to warm up the blade before each cut.
- Sprinkle the tasty cocoa powder on the top. Optionally, if you fancy all sides to have cocoa powder, you can dip in cocoa powder to coat all sides.
To Serve Low-Carb Nama Chocolate
Serve the delicious Nama Chocolate dessert on a plate, or put it in a box as a gift. Suppose the chocolate just came out of the refrigerator. In that case, I suggest waiting for 5-10 minutes before serving, so it's soft sufficient to melt in the mouth instead of hard and chilled chocolate.
To Store This Tasty Nama Chocolate Dessert
Keep the tasty chocolate dessert in an airtight container and store everything in the refrigerator for about four days. Or you can freeze the chocolate dessert for up to a month.
IMPORTANT: Before Making This Keto and Low-Carb Recipe
Separation (oil can come out of the chocolate). This happens when you get chocolate too warm. The dark chocolate should never be heated above 120 ºF. (White and Milk chocolate should never be heated above 110 degrees F). When the chocolate gets too hot, the cocoa butter separates from the solids, although you can bake with it, and it tastes just fine. The best way to counter separation is to stir the heavy cream frequently.
Because we're not using a double boiler in this recipe, make sure you do not bring the heavy cream to a full boil. Remove the mix from heat as soon as you see bubbles around the edges of the saucepan.
Seizing happens when moisture is introduced to melt the chocolate, even a tiny amount of liquid or steam. It appears all the sudden from a smooth bowl of liquid chocolate to a lumpy, grainy mass of chocolate.
Make sure the bowls and tools you are using are absolutely dry. Remember, even a small amount of water or steam can "seize" the tasty chocolate melting process.
Again, the ratio of heavy whipping cream and chocolate should be 1:2. Please remember not to replace chocolate with white chocolate for this recipe. The balance is not the same.
These tasty chocolate goodies are excellent for special occasions, parties, Birthdays, or as a hostess gift during the holiday season. I hope you fancy making this Nama Chocolate recipe.
Yields 16 pieces (1 piece per serving)
- NET CARBS: 1.75g
- FIBER: 2.3g
- FAT: 14.3g
- PROTEIN: 2.2g
- CALORIES: 145