Keto Gingerbread Cupcakes with Lemon Buttercream Frosting
These keto gingerbread cupcakes are deeply spiced and beautifully aromatic, and particularly great when paired with our lightly tangy and citrusy lemon buttercream. Perfect for Christmas.
FOR THE KETO GINGERBREAD CUPCAKES
- 64 g almond flour.
- 21 g coconut flour.
- 1 tablespoon psyllium husk.
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum or 2 teaspoons ground flaxseed
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder.
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda.
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt.
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger.
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon.
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg freshly grated
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves.
- pinch black pepper freshly ground
- 2 eggs yolks & whites divided
- 5-6 tablespoons swerve Sukrin Gold, to taste*
- 2 teaspoons blackstrap molasses optional
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar.
- 57 g organic grass-fed butter melted and cooled slightly
- 60 ml of water
FOR THE LEMON BUTTERCREAM FROSTING
- 1/2 batch cream cheese buttercream frosting adding the zest of one lemon
Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C. Grease and flour (with coconut flour) a muffin tray.
Beat egg whites until soft peaks form and set aside.
Whisk together in a medium bowl almond flour, coconut flour, psyllium husk, xanthan gum, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices. Set aside.
In a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed, beat egg yolks with sweetener until pale and fluffy, 1-3 minutes.
Incorporate molasses (optional), vinegar, and melted butter. Add flour mixture slowly, alternating with water and beating until well incorporated.
Fold egg whites little by little and gently into batter. The dough will be thick initially but will loosen up as you begin to incorporate the egg whites.
Spoon batter onto the prepared muffin tray, evening out the top with the back of a wet spoon.
Bake for 18 to 20 minutes (covering with aluminium foil at 15), until deep golden and a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Allow to cool for 15 minutes in the pan before removing, and cool completely in a rack if frosting. Just note that these are best enjoyed fully cooled, once the flavours have had a chance to mingle. And are even SO much better the day after, once all the spices have settled in.
While the gingerbread cupcakes are cooling, make the lemon buttercream frosting by adding the zest of one lemon to our buttercream frosting.
Store, without the frosting, in an airtight container for up to 3 days, though we're fairly certain they'll be long gone before then.
*Or 3 tablespoons Pyure.
And if using xylitol, make sure to be careful if you have a pup around the house, as it’s highly toxic to the little guys!
These tips and guides will help you answer all the common keto questions.
Click here for An Easy Detailed Guide to Follow for Beginners to The Keto Diet.