Birthday Chocolate Keto-Friendly Cake
Put your usual birthday chocolate cake recipe aside and let this new, easy birthday cake idea lead the way. Even better: You don't have to be an advanced baker to pull off this best keto-friendly birthday chocolate cake idea.
Can a Chocolate Birthday Cake be Part of a Healthy Keto Diet?
Close your eyes. Think delicious chocolate dessert. What comes to mind? Cake? Mousse? Brownies?, Ice cream? A square of dark chocolate? All of the above?
If you’re looking for low-carb or keto recipes starring chocolate, we have a wide variety, including baked goods, creamy mousses, chilled desserts, candy, etc.
Chocolate is the ultimate dessert, and luckily, it CAN be keto- and low-carb-friendly. In moderation, of course!
So do you want to try your hand at chocolate keto or low-carb baked goodies? Here is one of our tasty chocolate dessert favorites!
This post may contain affiliate links, and as an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases that help keep this content free. (Full disclosure).
Birthday Chocolate Keto-Friendly Cake Recipe
This tasty chocolate birthday cake will be successful at any celebration or dinner party.
The perfect keto birthday cake that everybody will enjoy — even the devoted carbivores. This is an amazingly moist chocolate cake with creamy peanut buttercream frosting. Let the party begin!
Ingredients to Birthday Keto Chocolate Cake
- 1 cup almond flour
- ¾ cup granulated erythritol
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1½ tbsp ground psyllium husk powder
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- Four eggs
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- 4 oz. salted butter, melted
Keto-Friendly Peanut Buttercream Frosting
- 8 oz. salted butter, room temperature
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- ½ cup unsalted and sugar-free peanut butter
- ¼ cup powdered erythritol
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
Decorations to Birthday Chocolate Cake
- Ten cherries (optional)
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tbsp chopped salted peanuts
Instructions to Make the Chocolate Birthday Cake
- Position in the middle of the oven and preheat to 350°F or 180°C.
- Combine sweetener, almond flour, cocoa powder (sift to eliminate lumps), baking powder, ground psyllium husk powder, and salt in a medium-sized bowl. Whisk until thoroughly combined. Set aside.
- In a bowl, combine melted butter and cream cheese with an electric mixer. Add the eggs, one at a time, while mixing continuously. Mix for a few minutes until combined and quite smooth.
- Add the flour mixture into the egg bowl and whisk for some minutes until the cake batter is smooth.
- Grease two 7-inch or 18 cm cake pans — or make one at a time if you just have one pan. Pour half of the delicious batter in each cake pan and spread out uniformly. Bake in the middle of the oven for about 25–30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Allow cooling for at least 10 minutes in the pan before shifting to a rack to cool. Wrap some layers with plastic wrap and place in the fridge to cool completely, optionally overnight.
Peanut Buttercream Frosting
- Combine room temperature butter, cream cheese, and peanut butter in a bowl. Add sweetener (sift to eliminate lumps) and vanilla extract. Beat with an electric mixer until smooth.
Assemble the Keto-Friendly Chocolate Birthday Cake
- Place one layer with the flat side up on a plate or cake stand. Cover top with 1/4 of frosting with a spatula or knife. Place the second layer on top and spread the rest of the frosting on top and sides of the cake.
- Whip heavy whipping cream until stiff and decorate the top with piped rosettes. Put cherries on top — one for each piece of cake. Chop peanuts and sprinkle on top.
If you don't like peanuts — is there a replacement?
Feel free to replace the peanut butter for any other nut butter of your liking. Hazelnuts and chocolate is another winning combination. You could likewise skip it entirely, and you'll have tasty vanilla frosting.
Can I make this chocolate cake without almond flour?
Yes, but the taste and consistency will be very different. One cup of almond flour can be substituted for 1/3 cup of coconut flour.